Hello fellow soils students! My name on the books is Kirsten Williams, however I go by Hillary, which is my middle name. I grew up in a tiny town called Lorane, which is located roughly 23 miles southwest of Eugene, OR. Lorane has a population of a little less than 1000, and is made up of ranchers, loggers, vineyard workers, and hippies. My family fell under the last category. I am a natural resource/management option major, and I have been a senior for the last year and a half, but I will actually be graduating this June (finally). I am taking this class because it fits into my plan, but I chose it because I became a self-proclaimed soil geek after taking intro to soils in Corvallis with the infamous James Cassidy. Wild land soils is particularly interesting to me because I hope to work in the water/watershed management field at some point in my career, and the ecosystem services wild soils provide is largely integrated into that realm of resource management. The most interesting place I have looked at a soil would have to be either Glacier Nat’l Park or on Kauai and Maui. Glacier is astounding because you can see the evolution of the soil and the many layers of time within the rock. On the other end of the spectrum are the very young red rock soils of the Hawaiian Islands, which intrigue me due to their workable and fertile properties. See y'all in class!
No comments:
Post a Comment